German Melendez - 1967 VW Beetle
A Beetle from Highland, Indiana
My 1967 Beetle started as a stock Bug. The first thing I did was take it apart, removing the trim, bumpers, door handles, fenders, hood and decklid. After that I got new 1966 front and rear fenders, a rear apron, and 1966 decklid. Once I had all the parts I started working on it, then decided not to use the stock turn signals and taillights, so I shaved them off. Then I saw a Nissan Maxima, and the markers it had on the side of the rear bumpers, and decided to make them my taillights.
Once I finished all the bodywork, the car sat around for 3 or 4 months so I could work on the stock 1500cc engine, which was from GEX. I kept it stock, just cleaned it, painted it, added some new parts, and put it to the side so I could get back to the Bug.
It was then time for paint, and liked green and gray colors I’d seen at House of Kolor, and decided to go with them. A friend wanted to paint the Bug for me, and wanted to do a two-tone marble look on it, so I let him do it — it turned out great! Interior came next, which was handled by another friend using light and dark green tweed, and a 3D look on the door panels. The trunk was upholstered to match.
The wheels came next, which is a set of 18-inchers wrapped with 225/40zR19 tires — they just fit with the narrowed beam and two-inch drop. I also made two custom decklids for my Bug — a spider web and the one that’s currently on it, a cross with wings.