In nearly every photo of this once-famous VW cruise spot, you saw this sign. Last night, we were given permission to save them! The main Nick's sign will be on display at the Schley VW Racing Museum.
Saving a Bit of VW History
Nick's Burgers is now closed for good, so last night, we returned and saved the signs...
December 10, 2013
Photos by Dean Kirsten
Cruise spots come and they go, but most of them are never forgotten. Nick's Burgers in Fullerton closed its door last month for good. Despite full support from the VW community, it still was not enough to keep the doors open. Upon hearing that Henry Azzam was going to close his restaurant, we contacted him about saving the outdoor signs. So last night, we met him at the location, and with the help of Paul Schley, we carefully removed the signs that so many of us will always remember. The main sign (10x6) will be on display at the Schley VW Racing Museum in Orange.
It took us about two hours to remove each letter, lighting fixtures and main sign without breaking them or our necks.
Subscribe now to get the latest issue of Hot VWs Magazine.
The July 2015 "Vintage Special" issue of Hot VWs magazine takes a close look at a very rare 1956 Rometsch Beeskow convertible, which Dave "Pip" Pipoly and Mike Davis painstakingly brought back to life at their "Compound' in southern California.